header-photo

First Attempts at Making Cheese

With Ruth, the goat, came a book on raising dairy goats.  This has been a wonderful resource, as we know nothing!  Well, in this book there are several recipes for what to do with all this milk.  The only one that I had all the ingredients for was one called, "Vinegar Cheese".  I have now learned that this is a "fresh" cheese.  It is a white cheese, and pretty much very bland to the taste.  It certainly does not taste bad, it just doesn't have much taste.  You can use it just as it is in several ways, like salads or in scrambled eggs or fajitas.  I have found that I like to mix it with herbs, especially garlic, and green chilies or jalapenos.  I then will press it for about 24 hours, which will make a wonderful cheese to add to your sandwich or on crackers.

To make this cheese:

With a double-boiler, heat 2 quarts of milk to 185°F.

Slowly, add 1/4 cup of vinegar, turn off heat, and allow to separate into curds and whey.

Skim off curds into a colander lined with cheesecloth.  Tie corners of cheesecloth and hang, I use the knob on my cupboard door, and allow to drip for a couple of hours.

At this point, if you desire to add ingredients, turn cheese out from the cloth into a mixing bowl, and add desired ingredients.  Mix well.

Or, you can put the cheese into a container as it is to use as a crumbled cheese.

I like to press mine.  I made a mold by constructing a box out of pine wood that measures about 8" x 3 1/2" x 2".  I only made 4 sides with an empty bottom so that the extra liquid can come out the bottom.  You will want a "follower" made out of a thick piece of wood that will press down on the cheese.  I use a large C-clamp as my press.

I have made this cheese 3 times now, and with great success.  This was definitely a very good first cheese to make.  I have now ordered the different cultures that are needed to make other cheeses, and I am looking forward to experimenting more!

0 comments:

Post a Comment